Thursday, December 21, 2006

My first lifedrawing term.

As promised, more lifedrawing. Dont hold your excitment in. Let it out. It's okay.

If anyone has EVER done lifedrawing at Algonquin College (in Ottawa) you will recognize these casts. Millions of us have drawn these casts. I am one of them.

Anyways, these are from first year, first semester animation. Its only outlines. Why? The philosophy behind doing only the outlines is that it shows where your weaknesses are. Shadows can be used to cover up errors in volumes. Our lifedrawing teacher was of the school of thought that shadows come later when you can bring out the object with just the outlines. I tend to agree with her school of thought, she brought some amazing work out of me.

And without further ado, The Boys:


I believe this was the first thing I drew in animation for lifedrawing. Yes, he is missing an arm. :P

Here is a GREAT way to measure your own success, draw the same cast from two different angles. He wont move. :P Here are my results from such an exercise:


This guy is missing an ear. The other one was kind of wonky and my head is weak but I am showing it because you can compare the rest of the body to my other cast drawing. The rest of the body is definitely better than the head.

And his "finer" side:


After we had finished this cast we had to recopy our drawing in pen (with a light table) and then draw the skeleton inside. The hard part? The skeleton was not posed in the same position. Not even close. We had a skeleton that we could walk around and look at but we needed to figure out how the skeleton fit inside of the body.

Here lies my bones:

Click on him to see the bigger drawing and see all the little vertebrae I shoved in there. There should be the correct number. Talk about a crash course in anatomy.

No comments: